Although its appearance makes you think that it is difficult to make, star bread can be easily made even by someone who enters the kitchen for the first time. This delicious recipe will be the go-to for your winter holidays with its taste and snowflake look. Let’s first look at the ingredients and then the construction with the tricks.
What You Need to Make Star Bread
- For the Dough:
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 180 mL milk
- 60 g butter
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 10 g instant yeast
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- Optional 5 grams of cinnamon 5 grams of ginger
- For the Filling
- 100 g chocolate hazelnut cream (You can choose nut butter – peanut butter or your favorite jam)
- 20 g butter
- For the Topping:
- 15 mL milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Powdered sugar
How To Make a Beautiful Star Bread
First we start the dough making
1. In order for the yeast to be added to the recipe to be activated quickly, we heat the milk until it is warm and melt the butter. Both should be warm, not too hot.
2. Add the yeast to the warm milk and mix. Then we add some sugar to this mixture.
3. We take the flour into the kneading bowl and make a hole in the middle with our hands.We knead our dough by adding the mixture we prepared and other dough ingredients. The dough will not be a hard dough, it will be a soft dough that sticks to the hand, but you can choose to add more flour according to the egg size. Of course, provided that you do not make a dense dough. Do not forget to knead well so that the dough comes together.
4. After kneading our dough well, we cover it and leave it for about 1 hour at room temperature to ferment. Note that the fermentation time may vary depending on the room temperature. You may have to wait longer if necessary.
5. We divide our dough into 4 equal parts. Then we cover the dough and let it rest.
When the dough is ready, we move on to the part of making the filling.
6. For the filling, we melt 20 grams of butter. Then we mix the warmed butter with the chocolate hazelnut cream. This process allows the hazelnut cream to be applied more easily. If you are going to make the filling with jam, you do not need to mix it with butter.
7. Roll four dough ball into a thin roughly 12-inch circle.
8. We take the rolled dough onto the baking tray and put our filling on it. If you want the edges to stick more easily, you can apply the filler in a way that there is little space on the edges.
9. After one layer of dough, we put our dough on top of each other as a filling. After placing the 4th dough, we do not apply the filling.
10. With the help of a mold or without a mold, we cut our dough in a round shape. Then we determine its center with a small round object.
11. Before cutting the middle circle, we cut it into 4, then 8, and then 16 parts, respectively.
12. We turn the two pieces we cut outwards 3 times and connect the edges.
13. Finally, we spread the milk and egg yolk mixture on it. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F (180C).
14. We cook our star bread until the top and bottom are cooked. Of course cooking time may differ from oven to oven. It takes about 20-30 minutes. Please check your oven frequently.
15. After cooling, you can pour powdered sugar on it.
16. Bon Appetit!