With the increase in customers’ ecological concerns, the demand for products and services that will cause less harm to the environment has also increased. Accordingly, Businesses and restaurants have started to use environmentally friendly and recyclable materials to appeal to this audience. For this reason, a new breath has come to the food industry: the green restaurant.
What is meant by green restaurant?
A green restaurant is any restaurant set up and run in an eco-friendly and energy-efficient way (Lorenzini, 1994).
Why do Restaurants go green?
The restaurant industry is wasteful because of its unsustainable practices. Think about it, all the food left on the plate when it comes to your table… Too many restaurants to count… Too many customers to count… Can you imagine all the waste done in a day?
Fortunately, social and environmental awareness in humans has increased recently. Environmental practices in restaurants also gained momentum. We know that green applications require high capital. But don’t worry, customers have embraced green restaurant businesses and don’t care how expensive they are. And in the long run, green practices are profitable for you. For example, you can create a new meal from leftover food waste. This practice not only reduces the amount of food the business buys, but also reduces food waste.
So, apart from these reasons, why should we prefer green restaurants? Green restaurants increase brand value and create a positive image in the eyes of consumers. It allows you to appeal to a wide audience looking for restaurants that value sustainability and are committed to social values. It saves energy and costs. As a result of all these benefits, you will have more sales and profits.
How to Become a Green Restaurant
- Water efficiency should increase.
- Waste reduction and recycling should provide.
- Energy savings should make.
- Restaurants should use sustainable foods.
- Sustainable and durable materials should use.
- Chemical pollution should minimize.
- Reusable and environmentally friendly disposable materials should obtain.
1. Azurmendi, Spain: Azurmendi, according to The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018, it was the most sustainable restaurant. You can view the environmental applications of Azurmendi here.
2. Chez Panisse – San Francisco: Chef Alice Waters brought the concept of sustainable cuisine and organic gardening to the agenda and shaped the food culture in the world with this concept. Click here for more information.